Saturday, July 08, 2006

Dear 20-Something Girl In The Checkout Line

Dear 20-Something Girl at the Ralphs That Sunday,

I realize that I may have been a bit too delighted that I was, at the advanced age of 43, carded. And thank you, I did indeed realize that it did NOT mean she thought I was 21.

In California, they are required to card you even if you look like you might have recently been 32 or so. Cut me some slack, Snide Eye-Rolling Sneering Girl. I reserve the right to be delighted if, at 7:30 am on a Sunday morning without make-up on, they don't offer me the Senior Citizen discount. That anyone might give me the benefit of the doubt that there's a POSSIBILITY I could be under 40 gives me the right to spike the ball in the end zone.

I'm just saying. The loud "whispered" snark (BTW you had 14 items in the 12 items or less line, so at least I can count...), the sneer AND the full-body eye roll may have been a bit much. Next time, pick one. And if there is any justice in the world, when you are 43 they'll be asking to check your AARP membership card.

PS. For the rest of you, if you were wondering why I was buying alcohol at 7:30 on a Sunday morning... Gosh, that's exactly what my Dad wanted to know.

PPS. I know. I'm sure that was officially the last time ever. But still. It was a good Sunday. Champagne Brunch for EVERYONE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home