Thursday, July 20, 2006

A Touch Of Class

Banana Dog had her very first obedience class last night. If they'd been giving out grades, I'm ashamed to admit she might have flunked. She was just so overjoyed to see all the other dogs. Every time a new one showed up, she'd get so excited! I don't think she heard a word either of us said last night.

Of course, the entire time she was supposed to be learning to walk on a leash, she was looking off at all the other dogs, and shaking and whining and moaning, just dying to get over there and play. But before and after class, when she did get to greet them, she'd end up kicking them in the face, and lunging at them wildly. She just couldn't control herself, and none of them wanted to play that rough.

She'll do better next week, I know. And she's just a baby herself, even though she's already 35 pounds and not even five months old. She does great when it's just us, and we're working with her at home or on a leash out front. So she's just got to get used to all the new stuff out there in the world.

As for me, I don't think I'll need to do any weight training with my left arm any time soon. That dog can pull!

2 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger Calamity Jen said...

You might enjoy reading Marsha Boulton's "Letter from Across the Country," which has a terrific chapter on her dog's antics at obedience classes. Reminded me so much of my own lost cause.

-Calamity

 
At 3:20 PM, July 26, 2006, Blogger panda said...

Thanks for the tip! I love reading new blogs.

Your Burmese Mountain dog sounds like a handful. Banana Dog has, in the last week: eaten at least one rock, removed the door stop from the wall, taken two screws and a drill bit off the dining room table, and crumbled and distributed two charcoal briquettes across the full length of the living room and my office.

I have to just keep telling myself, "She's teething... breathe. Breathe. Breathe."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home