Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Give Her Enough Rope...

We got one of those longer retractable leashes, a 16 foot length. And after just one walk with the Banana Dog, I'm feeling really sad we didn't have one of these when my other Labs were around.

The leash gives her room to roam in a circle around us, able to sniff at will without dragging us along after her. With the new leash she makes the exact size circles my other Labs liked to make when they were off leash. I never got those two to behave on a leash with me. They pulled so hard, all the time, no matter how, or how often, I corrected them. But off leash, they were perfect. They'd stay within 20 feet ninety percent of the time. Unfortunately, off leash in Los Angeles isn't an option.

The longer-leash walk with Banana was effortless. We were able to reel her in quickly when there was traffic, or someone came by with another dog. And otherwise, she didn't pull at all. Unlike the 4-6 foot leash, which is a constant drag-along.

I'm so pleased!

2 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, August 31, 2006, Blogger Calamity Jen said...

Ferris can't be trusted off leash at all. He's too fond of traffic. He loves riding in cars so much that he'll run into the road to chase them down, the little bugger.

 
At 11:55 AM, August 31, 2006, Blogger panda said...

My other Labs were so good out camping and hinking, that they learned to come imediately when called and to stay close on command. But my older Lab was a rescue dog, obsessively eager to please. And the younger one learned from her.

I thought that, since Banana was so good about coming at home, maybe she'd come when I called her at the park. So we tried it in a small corner of the park, on the long lunge line. LB took her off to one side, and I held the end of the line and called her. She ran past me so fast she jerked the line out of my hands, almost knocking me over, and led us on a merry chase around the park until we could grab the leash.

Ooops!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home