Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Oh, THOSE Tassels...

I think I just hit a world record for work-to-payday-to-spent. Which is the best part of those kinds of horrendous deadlines.

Besides the whole roof overhead and food on table issue, I sometimes need incentive to keep me going when I'm working my third all-nighter of the week. So when I finish a project, I've been known to splurge a bit on one item I've had my eye on for a few months.

This time, it was this daybed for my home office.



And the mattress, the quilt, the duvet cover, the white embroidered curtains to hide my hideous 60's cardboard closet doors, the etc. etc. etc. Laughing Boy was particularly gallant, driving me to four different stores all over Los Angeles on Saturday, trying to find a place that would sell us a futon or mattress at a reasonable price and let us have it the same day. Because I am, in my secret superhero identity, Instant Gratification Woman. And waiting 9 months from the day I spotted that daybed in the magazine to buying it and taking it home, is also a world record for me. I was not about to wait another week for a mattress.

I could have bought a mattress from the store that sold me the daybed, but I found out at the cash register that they didn't even display their own mattress on this daybed at the store. They used a ringer mattress, as theirs is so soft and squishy, you'd roll right off the edge if you sat too close.

We ran out of time on Saturday, and the final mattress store had just closed before we pulled up. All the department stores and futon places had bragged about "we build our mattress just for you, when you order it". Like they'd go bad in the warehouse if they didn't. All it really means is they don't have to carry inventory, and I can't get a mattress for five to seven business days. At least they didn't say "for your convenience". Smart move, salesman.

I finally resigned myself to waiting until Monday to sit on my new daybed. With an astonishing amount of grace. For Instant Gratification Woman, that is. The next day, Sunday, I trudged off to Nameless Studios at 7:45 am, to work for the 18th day in a row. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to me, Laughing Boy snuck off to find me an affordable and instantly available mattress. And then went to another store to buy me a mattress pad, sheets, a down comforter, moss green curtains... And three fancy brocade pillows. With fringe, and tassels.



Marking another unique moment in history. The first time a man has willingly put out money for tassels that weren't attached to someone's chest.

2 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Calamity Jen said...

Gorgeous! All of it! And Laughing Boy deserves a medal for being so unguylike at times. It's so very refreshing.

 
At 12:24 AM, October 13, 2006, Blogger panda said...

Thanks! I'm going for Whole World eclectic, eventually. But my current budget was just happy to achieve color coordinated.

Laughing Boy constantly surprises me, even after 7+ years together. And then, after some gesture of astounding thoughfulness and sensitivity, he'll turn right around and out pops his everyday junior-high-humor loving self... Yup, he's a guy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home