Thursday, March 01, 2007

Note to Self:

Self, if you ever get the chance to do-over some period in your life, February 2007 is NOT the month to choose.

My previously endearing credit union just started, after three uneventful years, putting a week-long hold on payroll checks. Just because they can, apparently. So, in a fit of righteous indignation, I went to open an account at a bank affiliated with a company where Laughing Boy and I have our home loan.

While I was there, they casually asked if I would be interested in re-financing our mortgage. With visions of money saved dancing in front of me, I believed them when they said I was "pre-approved for a paperless refi". And blithely repeated that assurance to Laughing Boy. Who has been gracious enough not to remind me of that during the ensuing tax-return and W2 blizzard.

I have seen less paper in the gigantic metal dumpsters at the recycling center. My favorite part, though, was when they sheepishly informed me that they couldn't find any proof that I had paid the mortgage in October. Even though they and I both know that if I had missed a single payment, they would have sent large bands of thugs to my house before now.

Luckily I had traipsed into that very branch to pay that month, so in addition to my November statement from them confirming that they had indeed received my October payment, and on time too, and my evil credit union's statement showing that a check for that very amount had cleared my account that same day, I had a signed receipt from their branch manager confirming that I had handed her the check on the day in question. But I would like to ask them one teeny tiny question... do they really expect me to trust them with my money if they can't keep track of it?

In other news, my way-too-young-for-this-to-be-happening sister just had a heart attack last weekend. She didn't go to the doctor until Monday, so it took until today for them to run enough tests for us to be sure that there was no permanent damage, and that she's got enough medication to be safe and sound until her plan-approved cardiologist can clear his busy schedule enough to fit her in.

So you can imagine my relief when I raised my head and saw March smiling at me.

3 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, March 02, 2007, Blogger Calamity Jen said...

Scary news about your sister. I hope that she is okay now.

I run screaming from just about anything financial, or indeed anything even remotely related to numbers. It's better for everyone that way.

 
At 9:02 AM, March 03, 2007, Blogger Romance said...

Wow, sorry about your sister - that is really awful.

Paperwork and numbers are my nemesis - I am trying to find my way to loving my bank- but so far no real luck

 
At 5:38 PM, March 04, 2007, Blogger panda said...

Thanks for the lovely support. Things are just falling apart in Panda Land right now, but everyone is telling me it could be worse, and everything will be fine.

Somehow, in a fit of completely out of character optimism, I am forcing myself to trust that they're right and it will all work itself out in the end. But my eyes are rolling back in my head from the effort.

Gah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home