Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Knitty Issues

I'm not a very good knitter yet (I'm being optimistic with that "yet"), but am rather proud that I managed to finish all the Christmas presents. Out of 26 projects begun in 2007, I've gotten through 24 and 2/2s. The "2/2s" are 1/2 of a sweater for me (tubey from knitty.com, in burgundy with black stripes... my first attempt at stripes), and 1 of 2 out of an alleged, and at this point entirely apocryphal, "pair" of socks. Everything else is off the needles. Since "everything else" includes 16 rectangles...


aka scarves, I'm not expecting any real knitters to be too impressed.

I, however, am ridunculously pleased I managed to get through this...

I haven't got the hang of beading, lacework or blocking (aforesaid blocking occurred post photo-op, you and the recipient will be relieved to hear) yet... and I'm embarrassed to admit that I knit an entire "test scarf" of this one - down to all the beading - before I started on the "real" present. All in all, I'm relieved I ended up with anything vaguely recognizable. I owe blocking a beer.

And, for me, the penultimate in overweening delusions of grandeur...

The price tag for organic cotton made me hesitate, remembering my only other foray into sweaters (no evidence, I mean pictures, for that mess), but I figured even if this one ended up too big, kids grow. I'm a tiny bit over gauge, but it's sized for a "2-3" year old, and the kid's just now getting into the 2's clothes, so I'm probably good. Right? I mean, yeah. I'm good.

2 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, January 18, 2008, Blogger Romance said...

Wow, I am super impressed and covetous of the fabulous blue beaded scarf/shawl.

bitch who blogs

 
At 5:20 AM, January 19, 2008, Blogger panda said...

Thank you! That one's for LB's mom, and I can't tell you how many times I tore it back and reknit because I wanted it to be perfect. It's funny... it looks lumpier in the pictures than it did in real life. I think it was the fact that it was a thinner yarn, and so it had some drape when you put it on.

Most of the time, my trial-and-error knit projects look awful in person, and then I try to take a pic of it for pure mockage value, and it looks just fine in the photo.

Go figure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home